About the program
Starburst is a comprehensive resiliency-based program for junior high girls.
In a preventative fashion, the program assists adolescent girls in building real-life solutions and coping strategies through education and information on real-life problem areas. This helps girls with their gender formation and positive relationship building by providing mentorship with positive female role models and a safe community of female peers, as well as promoting healthy life-skills and citizenship through educational, recreational, and leadership opportunities.
Starburst provides individual support to nurture and reinforce a positive identity and self-image, encourages healthy choices, and teaches coping strategies and constructive decision-making. The program aims to help adolescent girls develop into strong confident young women who can change and shape their life trajectories.
What participants learn
- Self awareness, including personal identity, self image and respect, self confidence, personal boundaries, and self concept
- How to build healthy relationships with family members, peers, professional adults in their school, and members of the community,
- Positive social skills, a sense of belonging, and inclusion
- Decision making by learning to be aware of issues related to healthy lifestyles and risk
- Engagement as a leader in their community
- Responsibility and ways to develop a sense of ownership of their school work and attendance
Starburst is offered in designated Calgary Board of Education schools in the city. Participants must agree to a three-year commitment from the beginning of grade seven to the end of grade nine
Upcoming Program Events
There are no upcoming events at this time.View Event Calendar